I lived in a clay house.
It was not a grand house.
No marble columns.
No painted walls.
No fountain in the courtyard.
Just clay.
Round and sturdy, with little holes in its walls and a heavy lid above me.
To the humans, I was a dormouse.
To the clay house, I was its little resident.
And to myself, I was simply hungry.
I liked nuts.
I liked quiet corners.
And I especially liked the little moments when the lid opened and sunlight came pouring down.
Usually, the lid opening meant food.
That morning, however, something was different.
The ground moved.
Only a little at first.
I stopped.
My whiskers trembled.
The people outside had stopped talking.
Somewhere beyond the courtyard, a dog began barking.
Then another.
I climbed higher along the inside of my clay house and peered through one of the openings.
The sky looked strange.
There was a dark cloud above the mountain.
The mountain.
I had seen it many times.
It had always been there.
Large.
Quiet.
Uninteresting.
That morning, it was neither quiet nor uninteresting.
The humans were moving quickly.
One carried a basket.
Another shouted something.
Someone dropped a clay vessel.
It broke.
The sound made me hide.
Then the ground moved again.
This time, harder.
Dust drifted from somewhere above me.
I pressed myself against the wall.
I did not know what was happening.
I only knew that everyone else seemed to know one thing:
We should leave.
Then someone came running into the courtyard.
The lid of my house was lifted.
Light flooded in.
For a moment, I saw the whole world.
Sky.
Trees.
People.
Dust.
And beyond them, the mountain.
The person who had opened the lid looked frightened.
They reached toward me.
Perhaps they wanted to take me.
Perhaps they were simply checking whether I was still there.
I did not wait to find out.
I ran.
Straight up the inside wall.
Over the edge.
Down the outside.
And onto the ground.
For the first time in my life, I was outside.
I stopped.
There was too much world.
Too much space.
Too much noise.
Then the mountain made a sound.
A deep sound.
A sound that seemed to come from beneath the earth itself.
I ran.
![]() |
| A little dormouse flees Pompeii during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. |
Past the garden.
Past the scattered pots.
Past a low wall.
Under a bush.
Across the roots of a tree.
I did not know where I was going.
I only knew where I did not want to be.
Behind me, the sky grew darker.
Ash began to fall.
Tiny pieces landed on my fur.
I shook them away.
Then I ran again.
I found a hollow beneath a tree root and squeezed myself inside.
It was dark.
Safe enough.
I curled up and waited.
The earth trembled.
The air became thick.
The sounds of the humans grew distant.
For a long time, I stayed there.
I did not understand the mountain.
I did not understand the sky.
I did not understand why the world I had known had suddenly become so frightening.
I only knew that I had left my clay house.
And I was alive.
Eventually, the trembling became quieter.
The terrible sounds faded.
The air slowly changed.
I poked my nose outside.
The world was different.
The garden was covered.
The paths had disappeared.
The familiar smells were gone.
Even the trees seemed strange.
I looked back toward the place where my little clay house had stood.
I could no longer see it.
So I turned around.
And continued walking.
I found another hiding place.
Then another.
I learned new paths.
New smells.
New trees.
The world beyond my clay house was enormous.
There were places I had never seen.
Food I had never found.
Branches I had never climbed.
And, eventually, another quiet garden.
I never knew what happened to the people.
I never knew what happened to my little clay house.
I never knew that one day, long after I was gone, people would dig through the earth and find the vessel that had once been my home.
They would study its holes.
Its shape.
Its terracotta walls.
They would give it a name.
Glirarium.
They would wonder how it was used.
They would learn that people once raised dormice inside vessels like it.
But they would never know my story.
They would never know that one little dormouse had once climbed over the rim and run.
Perhaps that is all right.
History remembers objects.
Stories remember lives.
And somewhere between the two,
there may have been one very small creature
who simply saw an open door
and took it.
Glirarium
In the Roman world, a vessel like this was known as a glirarium, a clay container used for breeding and keeping dormice (Glis glis), which were regarded as a delicacy in Roman cuisine.
This humble object offers a glimpse into an often-overlooked side of Roman life. History was not preserved only in temples, statues, and grand buildings, but also in the practical objects used for food, farming, and everyday living.
Want to read its story?
Visit the Timeless Treasures story:
“The Glirarium: The House with Little Feet”
Image Note:
This AI-generated illustration is a fictional artistic interpretation inspired by the story of a dormouse escaping Pompeii during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79. The scene imagines a small creature fleeing through a Roman garden as the volcanic disaster unfolds.
The visual setting draws inspiration from the architecture, gardens, objects, colors, and decorative qualities of ancient Pompeian fresco painting. The dormouse, garden, household surroundings, and moment of escape are imaginative elements created for the story and should not be understood as a documented historical scene.
The illustration is loosely connected to the ancient Roman glirarium, a terracotta vessel used for keeping dormice, which inspired the story. No historical evidence identifies a particular dormouse that escaped from Pompeii during the eruption.

No comments:
Post a Comment